GVHS Logo

Lost Villages: Chelsea Island

First mill at Chelsea Falls

In 1841, brothers Nathaniel and Julius Blasdell built a sawmill on Chelsea Island, using the adjacent rapids to power the industry. Their operations at the site would eventually lead to the end of the “Gatineau Privilege” whose participants had enjoyed a virtual monopoly on the Gatineau River since 1833. The Blasdell brothers were supported by a new firm, Gilmour and Company, Scottish shipbuilders who had recently entered the lucrative Quebec timber market. By1848, however, the Blasdells were deeply in debt to the Gilmours, who then took over the mill operations on the Island.
 

Villages Perdus : L’Île de Chelsea

Premier moulin des Chutes Chelsea

Ce fut en 1841 que les frères Nathaniel et Julius Blasdell érigaient un moulin sur l’Île Chelsea, utilisant les rapides pour alimenter l’industrie locale. Les opérations qu’ils installèrent sur le site mèneraient progressivement à la mise à terme du soi-disant ‘privilège gatinois’ dont les participants possédaient le monopole de ce cours d’eau depuis 1813. Les frères Blasdell recevaient l’appui d’une nouvelle entreprise, Gilmour and Company; constructeurs de navires qui récemment, avaient fait leur apparition sur le riche marché du bois en grume. Par contre, les membres du groupe Blasdell devinrent endettés à l’endroit des Gilmour qui, éventuellement, prirent le contrôle des opérations du moulin sur l’île.
 



LAC H2/310/Gatineau/1841